Skip to main content

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How common is developer burnout? Have you ever been burnt out?

Ask HN: How common is developer burnout? Have you ever been burnt out?
2 by Desafinado | 0 comments on Hacker News.
When I graduated from college I found a job working for a Fortune 500 where I completed a pretty complex project. I was there for two years and it felt like a stressful meat grinder. The experience was so bad that I quickly pivoted to a less stressful role, and have been there for quite some time now. This has got me wondering: how stressful do people find the software industry at large? There seems to be a big draw for young developers to try to go FAANG, but honestly, these companies just sound like another high-performance meat grinder. You get paid a lot but are constantly under scrutiny. And smaller companies are all going pseudo-agile to try to squeeze every last ounce from their developers. This makes me wonder if finding a low-key, sane culture is the key to sustainability in the industry, and avoiding burn out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog