Skip to main content

New top story on Hacker News: Heroku deleted my database with no warning

Heroku deleted my database with no warning
16 by fireworks | 0 comments on Hacker News.
Last December, Heroku nuked the database on one of my active projects. I was travelling at the end of the year and did not catch wind of this until I returned and saw messages about an issue with the app. Sure enough, I checked and noticed that the database was gone and detached on December 9th. Before the hate comes out, yes I know Heroku deprecated free tiers. However, I did not understand this would affect my projects on paid dynos. The real issue here is that I never received a single email or notice of any kind to my email about this. From researching, it appears most people received SEVERAL notices about this. I did not think there was an issue with my setup because I received zero communication. Upon reaching out, Heroku has told me that they cannot recover the database. They also admitted that there was "an issue" sending out notifications to me, and confirmed that none were sent. So I guess just a warning to all - your database might be nuked at any time. I learned my lesson about not doing an offsite backup regularly. I guess the bigger lesson though is that Heroku should really be a last resort option for projects these days. RIP.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katharine Anawalt, Harrison Gish

By Unknown Author from NYT Fashion https://ift.tt/2Uks9Ue