Skip to main content

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Is it still possible to live in a terminal?

Ask HN: Is it still possible to live in a terminal?
19 by ilovecaching | 18 comments on Hacker News.
In college I did a month long experiment where I only used my computer's terminal emulator to do all my work. I wrote my code/notes in Vim, browsed the web with elinks, and wrote my emails using mutt. It was a great learning experience. Recently I looked into doing this again and ran into a bunch of issues: - My company uses Slack's enterprise auth, and all the CLI slack clients I could find haven't been updated in years and no longer work. - The web is using more javascript than in the past. - Mutt doesn't handle multiple email accounts natively for work/personal. The solutions are hacks at best. Email servers are starting to use more complete auth mechanisms that don't work well with mutt. It seems like the terminal world is slowly getting abandoned in favor of proprietary GUI apps. Anyone still living inside the terminal? Links to tools for Slack are appreciated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katharine Anawalt, Harrison Gish

By Unknown Author from NYT Fashion https://ift.tt/2Uks9Ue