Skip to main content

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: What should I bring up during salary negotiation as a junior developer?

Ask HN: What should I bring up during salary negotiation as a junior developer?
6 by _lgj5 | 7 comments on Hacker News.
So i am a junior software developer in a large consultant company and have my first salary negotitations soon and need some help. I was told all juniors would increase the same in a sort of collective way since some did not get the same chances when it came to projects and performance, however my boss said there was a small change they would consider giving a larger raise based on performance. I have been lucky and got a very good project, as in I could show my strengths and it's a high value customer. During the project i took a lot of initiative and responsibility, we were 3 developers working on it (2 seniors and me) and luckily one of them is my boss. The project is now being used by the customer and I am the only one maintaining the project and feeling I have taken even more responsibility than was expected. The project was fairly large consisting of 2 frontends and one backend, where I made ~80% of both the frontends and did all the database work on the backend. To be honest being told that my performance wont impact my salary is kind of a bummer considering i have to wait another year for the next possible raise. I can see myself working here for some time, but i feel like saying that would make them feel like they can pay me less as im not going to leave in the foreseeable future. The project is now also being used as a reference to sell consultants to other customers and it has also garnered attention in nationwide news. So my question to you is how should approach the salary negotiation and how should i present my case to my boss? Sorry if this is incoherent, english is not my first language. Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katharine Anawalt, Harrison Gish

By Unknown Author from NYT Fashion https://ift.tt/2Uks9Ue