Skip to main content

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How do you responsibly report security bugs to open-source projects?

Ask HN: How do you responsibly report security bugs to open-source projects?
13 by WinonaRyder | 6 comments on Hacker News.
I found a DOS vulnerability in an Open Source project whose maintainer seems to be MIA at the moment. I found it in-the-wild, but not as an exploit so I've only made minimal effort to contact said maintainer - no surprise I haven't gotten a response so far. I don't want to draw any attention to it in a bug report and I'm not sure it's OK to dig up email addresses from commit logs either. It also got me thinking: why don't we have a Bug Bounty-like program for Open Source projects as a whole. What I mean is somewhere where we can post sensitive bugs (even for no pay) and have someone who knows what they're doing guide the process of reporting it responsibly. I know some big projects have this, but e.g. look at the mountain of dependencies that most projects are built on - many of them barely maintained.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katharine Anawalt, Harrison Gish

By Unknown Author from NYT Fashion https://ift.tt/2Uks9Ue